Ram Bomjan In ChildhoodMaha Sambodhi Dharma Sangha (earlier Palden Dorje, born Ram Bahadur Bomjan) was born on April 10, 1990 between 2:25am and 4am in Ratanpur village, Bara district, Nepal.
Father And Mother Of Ram Bahadur Bomjan TamangRam’s parents are farmers. His mother, Maya Devi was married at 12. She had 5 sons and 4 daughters. Ram was her third son. When she was in her pregnancy, she found she was unable to eat meat without becoming ill. The son, whom she named Ram, would not eat meat. He would leave the house for long intervals from an early age.
Birth House Of Ram Bahadur Bomjan TamangRam was always pleased to see a lama or a holy person and fastidiously imitated them. He often seemed to be lost in thought and spoke little. Whenever someone spoke to him, he would reply with a smile and would treat people of all ages equally.
Ram Bahadur Bomjan Tamang, Boy-MonkHe took his studies seriously and rarely played with other children, choosing instead to remain alone. He spent his time reading scriptures, meditating and worshipping the pipal tree which seemed to bring him joy. Seeing this behavior, Ram’s father sent him to study the scriptures of Lama Chhyoi with Samden Lama in their village. After that Ram decided to embrace a religious life.
Guru Som Bahadur LamaSom Bahadur Lama said the following of his ward: “He was obedient. He never said ‘no’ to my word. He was friendly and sociable and he received education in that manner. He used to say frequently that his attention was much more drawn towards meditation than towards reading books.”
Guru Som Bahadur Lama And Palden Dorje LamaIt was the custom for the initiates to meditate for up to a month in a cave. Som Bahadur Lama was surprised at the ease with which Palden Dorje seemed to adapt to the situation requiring little sustenance. It was then that he realized that the boy had a natural talent for deep and prolonged meditation.
Room Of Palden Dorje“Have I?” – Palden Dorje replied. – “You’d better go home, and be careful not to touch me.” The boy ran home to tell his story, but nobody believed him at first. Palden Dorje’s relatives went to the ravine. Palden Dorje smiled at them when they found him as was his habit. They told him to come home. “I’ll go home at four o’clock,” – Palden Dorje said. His family decided it would be wise to keep an eye on him, and so some of his siblings stayed with him.
First Place Where He Start His MeditationThey feared he must be ill or crazy. When Palden Dorje’s older brother touched him, Palden Dorje’s body became exceedingly hot and turned red. “Please leave me alone, or one of us may die,” – Palden Dorje said. – “If anyone disturbs me or my things at midnight, I will have to meditate for 20 years, but if all goes well, I will meditate for 6 years.”
First Meditation Tree At Ratanpuri SiteAbout 30 villagers saw where Palden Dorje was meditating, and they left an offering of over a thousand rupees as was the custom at Buddha Jayanti. On that night at 12:00, some pranksters came to disturb Palden Dorje and steal the offering. They quarreled over the money, and later accused each other in front of the villagers. Having confessed, they asked Palden Dorje’s forgiveness.
Six Pipal Leaves In The OilAgain the villagers were concerned about Palden Dorje’s whereabouts, and in the late afternoon, a cowherd had seen him in his new meditation site. The villagers sent some of his family to go and bring him home. But Palden Dorje refused and moved to another pipal tree in the east.
Meditating At Pipal Tree At Ratanpuri SitePalden Dorje told his family that he must continue to meditate at all costs. He drew a boundary around his meditation area, and the villagers and his relatives built a fence for him. More and more crowds gathered at the site, so Palden Dorje ordered that a hut be built and sealed with plastic on all sides wherein he remained for 15 days. After that Palden Dorje said, “I have received some energy so that I may now meditate under a tree outside”.
ॐ नमो गुरु बुद्ध ज्ञानीOn August 18, 2005, Palden Dorje called together his friends who were lamas. They asked him how it was that Palden Dorje was surviving without water. Palden Dorje replied that two snake gods protected him from either side. That day Palden Dorje also changed his clothes and wore a white cloth called Ngag.
Nepalese TapasviOn November 8, 2005, Palden Dorje told the people that he did not have the energy of a Buddha, and he asked them not to publicize him as an incarnation of Buddha.
Pipal The Tree Where Bomjan Had Been Meditating The Last 10 MonthsAfter about ten months of meditation, Palden Dorje went missing on 11 March 2006. He gave no explanation, and some believed he had been abducted. His followers theorized that he went deeper into the woods to look for a quieter place to meditate.
Bomjan Left His Clothes 40 Metres South From His Meditation SitePolice abandoned a search for him after the possibility of foul play was eliminated. Suspecting money laundering, the authorities froze the bank account of the local committee managing the crowds, which had gathered more than Rs. 600,000 ($7950), but they found no evidence.
Meditating In PitOn 26 March 2007, Inspector Rameshwor Yadav of the Area Police Post Nijgadh, found Palden Dorje inside a bunker-like ditch seven feet square. A police team under Yadav's command had gone to the place after word had spread of Palden Dorje meditating underground. “His face was clean and hair was combed well,” – Yadav said.
The Underground MeditationAccording to him, the bunker had been cemented from all sides and fitted with a tiled roof. Indra Lama, a local deployed as Palden Dorje's caretaker since the beginning of his intensive meditation, said the bunker was prepared per Palden Dorje's request. “After granting audience a week ago, he expressed his desire to meditate inside the ground; so we built it,” – he said.
Palden Dorje DevoteesOn 2 August 2007, Palden Dorje addressed a large crowd in Halkhoriya jungle in Bara district of southern Nepal. The Namo Buddha Tapoban Committee, which is devoted to looking after Palden Dorje, assembled the meeting.
QueueA notice about the boy's first-ever preaching was broadcast by a local FM radio station, and the committee also invited people by telephone. Around three thousand people gathered to listen to Palden Dorje's address. A video was made of the event. According to Upendra Lamichhane, a blogger who wrote an article and took pictures of the meeting, Palden Dorje's message was, "The only way we can save this nation is through spirituality".
Giving A MessageThis was his speech:
1. शान्तिको सन्देश, विश्वलाई आग्रह
2. मानव जगतमा हत्या, हिंसा, अत्याचार, लोभ, मोहले संसार व्याकुल भई सकेको छ।
3. विश्व मानव बीचमा ठुलो हुरी आई सकेको छ।
4. अब यो संसार नष्ट हुने बाटो तिर लम्की रहेको छ।
5. यसलाई बचाउने अब एउटै उपाय धर्म हो।
6. जब धर्मको शील र मार्गमा हिंड्दैन तब व्याकुल संसार अवश्य नष्ट …
7. त्यसैले तपाईहरुले यो मार्गलाई र यो संदेशसंदेशलाई विश्व मानव समाज सम्म पुर्याउनु :
8. मेरो तपस्यामा बाधा अड्चन आक्रोश अविश्वास कहिले नगर्नु।
9. म मार्गदर्शन मात्र हो। खोज आफै गर्नु पर्छ।
10. म के हुन्छु के गर्छु त्यो आउने वर्तमानले बताइ रहेको छ।
11. मानव उद्धार र जगत् सृष्टी प्राणीहरुलाई उद्धार र विश्व शान्ति अगाडी बढाउने मेरो लक्ष्य र मार्ग हुन्।
12. नमो बुद्ध संघाय
नमो बुद्ध संघाय
13. यस अनित्य संसारलाई भवसागर बाट उतार्न साध म रिस लोभ मोहको वशमा नपरि संसारलाई एक छिन् पनि विचलित नगराई, हेन्ग्य र दया बसाउने मोह रुपी त्यागी अनन्दकर विश्व आफ्नो जन्म भूमिलाई त्यागी सर्व जगत् प्राणीको उद्धारको लागि श्रवण चिन्तन मनन गरिरहेको छु।
14. तर अनित्य संसारको लागि मेरो यो दिनचर्या खेलौना जस्तो लागि रहेको छ।
15. संसारको हित सुखको उत्पादक सम्यक सम्बुद्धहरुको उत्पति सद्धर्म साधनाबाट भएको हो।
16. त्यस सद्धर्मलाई बुझ्न जान्न अति कठिनाई र आवश्यक छ।
17. तर यो अज्ञान प्राणी रुपिले बुझ्न सजिलो भयो भने , मानव रुपिले बुझेन।
18. तर अनित्य , तर अनित्य संसार बाट एक छीन , एक दिन.. पनि तर अनित्य संसार एक दिन यमराज संग जानु नै छ।
19. लामो समय सम्म ...लामो समय सम्म संगत गरेको, इष्ट मित्रबाट छुट्टिएर विलीन हुनेछ।
20. कमाएको धन सम्पत्ति पनि छोडेर जानुछ।
21. अनादी काल देखि मलाई माया गर्ने आमा बुवा बन्धु भाई सारा प्राणी दुःखी भई रहँदा, आफु मात्र सुखी भएर के गर्नु।
22. त्यसैले अनन्त असंख्य प्राणीको उद्धार को लागि बोधिचित्त पद गरी उद्धार गर्नुनै छ।
23. यो — मेरो यो पाताल गुफा बाट बाहिर आई बज्र ध्यान आसनमा बसी भगवानको अभ्यास हेर्नु छ।
24. मार्गदर्शन र ज्ञान चिन्नु छ।
25. त्यसैले यो तपस्यामा बाधा नपुर्याउनु।
26. यो मेरो अभ्यास शरीर प्राण आत्मा कुनै चीज़ले साथ दिएको हुँदैन।
27. यो अवस्थामा ७२ काल-काली हुनेछ।
28. बिभिन्न भगवानको उपस्थित हुनेछ।
29. मेघ गर्जेको आवाजहरुको जायेक, ग्यायिक,तेन्गुऊर, येंग्यूर ,देंग्शायु वेदहरुको आवाज़ आउने छ।
30. त्यो समयमा आकाशबाट हरेक देव देवी पूजा गरिरहेको हुन्छ।
31. त्यसैले तपाईहरु कुनै सन्देश नदिए सम्म भित्र नआउनु होला।
32. बाहिर बसि सबैलाई सम्झी बुझाई दिनु होला।
33. धर्म ज्ञान धर्म सन्देश विश्व समाज सम्म पुर्याउनु।
34. विश्व शांतिको सन्देश सबै धर्मले पुर्याउनु।
35. धर्म मार्ग खोज सम्बोधि ज्ञान प्राप्त हुनेछ।
Tapasvi Ram Bahadur BomjonPalden Dorje was observed not to leave the tree at least during the daytime, but nobody was allowed to approach him too closely. Between 5:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m. nobody was allowed to see him, and a screen was erected for that purpose. Many people speculated that he ate and drank water during that time.
Ram Bomjan ChortenIn December 2005, a nine-member government committee led by Gunjaman Lama watched Palden Dorje carefully for 48 hours and observed him not to take any food or water during that time. A video recording was also made of this test. However, they were unable to approach closer than 3 meters or take readings of his vital signs. The Nepalese government planned a more careful scientific study, but the plan was never carried out.
The Boy With Divine PowersIn 2007, the Discovery Channel produced a documentary titled "The Boy With Divine Powers". On their first, four-day attempt, the film crew was required to stay outside a guarded barbed-wire fence, and their camera's infrared capabilities did not pick up evidence of a body at the base of the tree where Palden Dorje sat during their non-stop recording. On a second attempt a few weeks later, however, the film crew was able to film Palden Dorje continuously for 96 hours, day and night, during which time he did not drink any fluids or eat any food. According to scientists on the documentary, an average person would be expected to die from kidney failure after four days without drinking any fluids. The boy showed no signs of classical physical deterioration caused by dehydration. A close inspection by the film crew of the area around the tree where Palden Dorje was sitting revealed no hidden food supply or water pipes.
Speech, November 10, 2008On 10 November 2008, Palden Dorje reappeared and spoke to a group of devotees in the remote jungle of Ratanpur, 150 km (95 miles) southeast of Kathmandu, near Nijgadh. His hair was shoulder-length and his body was wrapped in a white cloth.